Wednesday 11 April 2012

Silent Reflux By Claire

When my now 2yrold was born, she was perfectly healthy at 6lb8oz. I was feeding her myself, she was putting on weight. When she was 6 weeks old, I sat her up to wind her and I saw that she was not breathing, and her eyes were not registering anything.I grabbed her,and with my 7yrold in tow,I ran next door to get help. On the way way I looked down at her again and she was fine! I went to doctor, was sent to hospital. Unfortunately, they thought I was an over protective new mum and sent me home,doubting myself! There were a few more instances and one particularly bad one .. Which eventually led to her being hospitalised. They couldn't find anything wrong.Eventually they decided she had silent reflux;She was shutting down her own airways to stop the reflux acid going into her lungs. I was prescribed tablets.. for an 8 week old baby of all things!! After that I followed all the relevant reflux guidelines and eventually when she was approximately 7months old she came off medication and was fine....
I didn't get too heavy on this, on purpose, blog mainly because it still scares me to death and I still have nightmares over 'what ifs'.
But the point I want to make is  ..'always go with your gut and don't stop until you are sure and satisfied that your child is getting the best treatment'  
Feel free to add or comment etc

No comments: